Friday, April 17, 2009

Bits and bobs that are on my mind...

This month is so mottled with religious, political and other public holidays - I can barely keep up with all the supposed time off. It's worse than Christmas really, a whole month of not being able really settle down into anything, I simply end up being rather uninspired (to write).

But it's been more than a week since my last post - and that's almost enough to qualify as 'bailing out'. I'm still feeling uninspired, at this point, so I'm going to try one of those Stephen King manoeuvres that Rambler was talking about not too long ago.

Today, I just start writing and see what comes out on the other side.

Yesterday, I updated my Facebook status via Twitter, expressing frustration at not being able to hold an internet connection long enough to blog. I got a few comments on that, which was nice. The gawds honest truth though, is every time I sign in, my Internet Explorer suddenly goes 'offline'. This only happens at work though. If, I've got the time to write at home - then my GSM modem serves me incredibly well. I don't quite know why it is like that, but it's terribly frustrating. None the less, we continue forth (or fifth if you find fourth's not working too well). *you may now groan as your corn-o-meter red lines - LOL*.

I digress! Or do I? I still haven't found anything to write about. I don't want to bore myself and any other readers with matters pertaining to fitness and diet - although, this is something I do dedicate a fair amount of time too now.

On that note though, I've been wondering what I should do with my new fitness levels. I mean - I train hard every day, build up a massive sweat and for what? It's great being healthy and all, and I do so enjoy spending that hour or so a day in the Gym environment, snapping muscle fibres as I push, pull and fling various weights around. OK, so fling is an overstatement, but you get the drift.

In a way, the gym is my quiet time. It's the place where I end up unwinding from the stresses or frustrations of the day before heading home. Some how, I think I've mentioned this before, so I shall move one swiftly from here back to my point.

Now that my resting pulse is nice and low, and I have a very hard time keeping it up (my pulse that is) whilst working out, I know I'm now at a fitness level bordering on very very good, but not quite Lance Armstrong good. I've thought about running, but only for an instant as a simple entry point to competitive sports. I've considered joining the local football team as an alternative option. But my knees are not in the best shape, and somewhat prone to getting very sore very quickly. So I'm excluded from any impact sports. Which pretty much leaves skiing, swimming and cycling.

I've been (very very loosely, mind you) considering mountain biking. But this is something I need to discuss in greater depth with my special man before I go on in this forum.

Talking about my special man. We're planning for our honeymoon and wedding. I think I like the ideas Pierre had and will strongly consider doing that before we get married. Anyway, we're looking for somewhere exotic, exciting and idyllic. On a personal level, I'd also like another bash at getting a real sun tan. If anyone out there has a suggestion or three - swing them by me. Unlike my man CV, I've not traveled much: Germany, Holland, Botswana & Namibia make up the full list, but all of those visits were in the 80's, when I was too young to appreciate (take advantage of) the nightlife and such.

Shame, he's also been sick. Well, let me paraphrase that. he was sick. I gave him some TLC on Wednesday evening, 'cause he really needed it. Dinner was served in bed and we even ate chocolate. But I can't lie. I'm usually more inclined to let sick little puppies get the rest they need, undisturbed, because whe I'm a sick little puppy, I can be a hectically vicious terrier!

The good new is, yesterday he was his vibrant mischievous self. And I was beaming from ear to ear, probably a little more internally than externally, but beaming none the less. It's good to have him back from the depths of his near invisible misery.

OK - so this still qualifies as a post about nothing really. And I say - HEY! What the hell. This is kind of a public journal - and we all know what happens if journals don't get written... The memories simply fade away like sign writing without UV protection, slowly disappearing until they become nothing more than indistinct translucent hues on the enormous white backboard of our lives.

Yes, it is now written on my big whiteboard in the sky. One day I shall be able to look back and remember that I'm not a fan of April in South Africa - with it's multitude of holidays and the first whisperings of winter breathing down my neck in the early mornings. And I shall also look back and see if I ever did start mountain biking and remember the embryo of our honeymoon and wedding plans and look back fondly at the memory of going on away before (or after) the wedding...

Ciao 4 Now

4 comments:

  1. Hey, good to see you back.

    Why dont you look at triathlons if CV is not keen on mountain biking. The run isnt very long ito of your dodgy knees. (just dont do IronMan or UltraMan!) Sandboarding and rock climbing can be pretty fun too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Mel

    thanks for the suggestions. WIll add those to the list

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm... me sensing discussions this weekend...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For someone who had nothing to write about... it made interesting reading!

    Did you go and look at bikes on the weekend!LOL. Have a lekker week. :) Caio. L.

    ReplyDelete