Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A pinch and a punch for the first of the month...

It's a silly saying, but it's one that rings especially true on April the 1st, 'cause if you're not paying attention, a news item might make you want to pinch yourself to make sure what you heard is 'true' and then punch (or kick, whichever is most convenient) yourself when you realise it's all a load of baloney!

Being a 702 listener (Cape Talk, K-fm and Highveld are sister stations), I consume a fair amount of news but I wasn't thinking about it being the 1st of April...

Initially I was caught (only for a moment, mind you) by the Eyewitness News report that Benoni's other star (Rambler's is of course it's foremost), the Oscar winner Charlize Theron, is ditching Hollywood to join the cast of Isidingo!

I've trawled a few other news sites to see what they're up to today and these are my picks:

SABC News: Gautrain construction on hold after discovery of gold coins
E-TV News Channel: doesn't seem to have a website which is a joke in itself...
BBC International: Rio moves to wall off its slums
SKY News: America Builds World's Most Powerful Laser or Professor's Apocalyptic Vision Of America both seem totally outlandish..
CNN was not glaringly obvious: could it be this one; Soccer robots being built to beat humans?
I'm not entirely sure that all my picks are actually April Fools reports, I could be wrong. The only way to check is to come back to these tomorrow I guess.

I know of some truly awful 'in family' April Fools that have been pulled. Stuff that caused grief and family feuds! Perhaps they're less sensitive about the pranks they pull because they're not likely to have to potential to cause a global meltdown - and of course they have slightly sadistic tendancies. Thankfully my family does not have a habit of playing silly Aprils Fools jokes on one another. Hehehe
What caught you today and what didn't?

Ciao4Now

5 comments:

  1. My stepmom phoned to say she went gambling and won R500 000. Given her , um, history I hesitantly believed her... but it proved to be a prank..

    so I guess I got caught...

    sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very mundane April 1 here! I think i shall have to plot to be the prankster next year! I have lots of time to plan! Did you ever check up on any of those stories??? I see the Euro came down rapidly! I hope thats not a joke - I need some soon!! Caio! L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Frank!
    Good to be in contact again.
    Your blog title immediately caught my eye.
    Theo and I still do the "pinch and a punch" thing and the one who is slower to remember is still bummed about it as though we were both still in primary school.
    Cute hey?
    Or weird, do you think?

    Aaaaaannnyway
    The thing that I thought might be one of "those" on TV (can't remember which channel - after all it was 3 days ago :-)) was a report: "Rare dolphins found in jungle"
    In my bleary early morning state I was like: "WHAT!"
    But heck - maybe there are rare dolphns that run around waving their fins among the undergrowth?
    Yeah
    Duh

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Allie - kekekeke, dolphins in the jungle. Fresh water dolphins in a river, maybe? But, dolphins running around the jungle, I think not! LOL

    @Lisa - I'll NEVER know if they were APrils Fools Jokes, 'casue they're all still there!

    @Ramble, congrats on your win!! And since you've now shared that little story with us about your stepmon, I shall likely plot and scheme a nice little gag for next year - or maybe not... I'm not telling ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm assuming that you are REALLY busy?
    Otherwise - where the heck are you!
    Huh huh huh?

    ReplyDelete