Thursday, June 11, 2009

It's joyful, learning to fly! Or is slumming with the stars really for the birds?

In retrospect, joyful would be too strong a verb - but it does make for a title that titillates... or am I deluding myself? Hehehe.


Tonight's a big night for me and CV. We're off to have dinner with that most wonderful of local wordsmiths, John Van Der Ruit - He of SPUD fame. I've read both instalments and am now in a queue to read the forthcoming release - 'Learning to fly'




This excitement is rather inexplicable though. You see, I'm not prone to staring at stars, the celebrity type, not the astrological ones - of course. I appreciate that the artistes have worked very hard to perfect their craft. This is after all why we pay money to see them on our big screens or small screens or on stages or pop their recordings into our CD players and i-pods or loose ourselves in their captivating prose.


Once upon a time, I lunched with the former 'Kyle' of Isigingo and found it absolutely fascinating how random people would stop and stare or ask for autographs or the latest plot twists in store. It turns out he had more personal problems than anyone could hope for in one lifetime and his star was about to flicker out and die.


And then I vividly recall visiting a friend who was working at a salon in Melrose Arch one day and I ended up making small talk with a certain, if I recall correctly, Vanessa. As small talk goes, I don't fare all that well, but trying valiantly I innocently asked her, 'What is it that you do?'


She looked momentarily perplexed, amazed even as she primly drew herself aback and raised her palm softly to her chest: 'I'm Miss South Africa.'


Determined to remain un-phased, I said, "Oh that's nice. I'm an events promoter. How's being Miss S.A been for you?"


In any event, my point is - at the end of the day, they also have to sleep and (to be far more polite than I normally would be) use the bathroom. I don't get giving them the inflated adoration. It just doesn't make much sense.


I know they've worked incredibly hard to achieve perfection in their craft. I applaud their achievements. But then again - so do many of us work hard. Sometimes, I think even harder. All we get at best though, is the adoration of our little ones and the cheers and support of our spouses, family and friends.


I will never fully get why people swoon over stars. Hmm - come to think of it, I don't think I get celebrity culture at all.


I'm sure Mr Van Der Ruit is a thoroughly nice fellow. CV and I may just pick up a thing or two about successful writing - or maybe we'll pick up absolutely nothing. Either way - I think I'll be pleased if he carries himself across as just a human being like me and you and not a pompous ass - like some stars apparently can be. Truthfully though, never having been to this restaurant before, most of all, I hope the food and wine and other company are good.


CIAO4Now

4 comments:

  1. allie says:

    Nice post FJ
    I like the way you have split up your paragraghs; it helps the reading flow.

    I agree with you about the celeb thing: I haven't met many (trying to remember if I've met ANY actually) well, Derek Watts if you count him.

    DH still teases me about that: I ran into Derek unexpectedly at an international squash event in Newlands Cape Town.
    All I registered in the moment was a familiar face, so I said with a big smile: "Oh Hiiiii! as if he were one of my dearest friends.
    He looked nonplussed for a moment and then valiantly responded.

    Anyway, I digress.
    What I wanted to say is that if I were to have one-on-one time with a celeb I think I would just want to get to know them as a person: what makes them tick, the same as with any new acquaintance.

    Every new person you meet is a like starting to read an intriguing book, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replying from my mobile, so I don't know how to log in...

    Yes indeed Allie. Behind all the hype is just another human being.

    The paragraph spacing thing is an Html mishap that happens when I load pics... I normally waste tons of time editing them back out.

    I'm glad it works for you though. If everyone else agrees, i'll not be arsed about it anymore and post more often. ;-)

    ciao4now

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the spacing too.

    And I was THERE when Allie met Derek and was STUNNED that she appeared to know him...! It was only later I heard the full story waaahhahahahah.

    Yeah, celebrity is overrated. I often see ol Bob Skinstad in this neck of the woods; always when I am out with the kids and he is with his...and people constantly harass him. Absolutely ridiculous. He and I were sitting at a table with our kids, letting them draw and I REFUSED TO ACKNOWLEDGE his celebrity; for his sake! The casual conversation was just so normal and I think that may just be what most celebs want.

    PS My MIL was most pissed off that I did not get an autograph as she is obsessed with the boy. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mel - Ah, I'm not alone it seems on the Celebrity thing. Treat them with the respect they deserve as humans is all they need..

    And I gotta say I did LOL on the MIL comment. Personaly I can't see what the fuss over him is too - some think he's sexy???

    Ciao4Now

    ReplyDelete