Friday, June 5, 2009

knowing me... a-ha?

Someone near and very dear asked me why I've not been blogging...

The truth is, I can't really be sure. I'm in a funny place in my head at the moment and feeling kind of um... restless, like I'm not fulfilling something I'm meant to be doing. It may pass and writing about it may add some clarity to the matter... for me as much as you. And before anyone sees some sort of drama on the cards, let me move swiftly to put everything into its place.

I have been in with CV for just over a year now and the whole experience has been illuminating in so many ways, I can't even begin to describe. I could so easily get gushy right now, but I shant - because there's been other sides to knowing him and that's what today's post is all about.

Let's tentatively call the side I'm now referring to as 'the activist'. 'The activist' has changed my understanding of being a gay man. His experiences with the ex-gay ministry as laid bare in many a personal conversation, quite a bit of writing in his blog, as well as some of his personal diaries has moved me to try to understand myself better. This is not to say I previously didn't have a fair grasp of who I am. But, in my openly gay but somewhat 'closeted' recent past, I was all about work. Blooms and beats dominated just about everything I did... so much so there was not much time for anything in between.

This past year has seen me blossom in a way that was totally unexpected. Argh! I hate to use flowery terms - but that's what come off the fingertips, so I'll stick with it. My exposure to the 'activist' has partly driven my own recent explorations.

So I've been reading quite a bit. You may or may not have read my recent post on gay superheroes. That required tons of reading.

And then of course there's CV's award winning blog and other blogs on the gay experience.

I've reading 'The Velvet Rage' by Alan Downs. It's made me emotional and sometimes angry. It's revealing without being particularly instructive or helpful (so far). But it has rapidly changed the way I perceive myself and most other gay men. I won't recommend it yet - the jury is still out for me.

Knowing 'the activist' got me reading up even more on the story of Harvey MILK, slamming PRIDE - and then thinking about it a little bit more. Undertaking researching and ultimately deepening my understanding of the history of the gay rights movements (and the importance of Drag queens) and where gay rights are going now.

It's also lead to debating in sometimes very lively discussions gay marriage, being publicly gay and changing societal norms.

And I've been... consuming ('cause watching would be far too soft a verb) the 1st season of the US version of Queer as Folk. Although it was launched in 2000 and has become somewhat of a cult classic among gay men the world over, I couldn't watch it on my Zone 2 DVD system. The problem's been solved recently thanks to the suggestion of one of my many 'techno whizz' friends. It's fascinating. I totally relate to some aspects and can't believe others. It's a gritty candid drama about gay men and I think it's brilliant. There's four seasons to go after this. At least I'll have all of them on hand when I want to tuck into the next batch.

And finally - linking my recently awoken passion for reading, writing, the drama of the comic book hero and QAF (there's a comic book link developing), I just bought a few pencils and eraser to take up something I've not done seriously since high school... drawing.

I wanted to become a designer once upon a time. And a musician. And an author. And an entrepreneur. And a radio presenter using my influence to make positive changes (but not a politician - because I'm a lousy liar). And a priest (yes - even a priest).

Which brings me right back to the beginning again. I'm in a funny place in my head at the moment still restless. I can't shake the feeling that I'm not fulfilling something "greater", that I'm meant to be doing.

Ok, so it hasn't passed by writing about and I can't claim any further clarity on the matter... Maybe I should blog more frequently to express the things I feel I need to. Maybe, that's the way we change the world - one post, drawing and song at a time.

Ciao4Now

13 comments:

  1. A personal note (as a footnote / comment):

    To my CV
    There's no turning back when someone meets you. I think you know that. You touch lives across continents! And you've touched mine. You've woken me up in so many ways. This is only one of them... the rest's between you and me. Elephant shoe ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think it's a good thing to feel unsettled - it stops us from complacency. And Jung also speaks about the second adulthood (or mid-life) which hits around your mid-30s, so don't beat yourself up...

    You've said some personal stuff, which I've responded to personally... but I have to say I'm loving watching you tap into your creative side - sketching, writing and reading books like Velvet Rage...

    elephant shoe more

    hehehehhehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie says:
    You may be feeling restless but your life is expanding, it seems.
    Maybe you can post pics of some of your artistic stuff one day?

    Don't feel alone with that "there's something greater I'm supposed to be part of - something else waiting for me" thing.
    It is part of the journey, maybe everyone's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Allie - I think the day we think we're doing all we need to do, is the day our life becomes meaningless and complacent...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the comments guys. This was another ost that just started without an end in sight... straight from the heart I guess...

    I appreciate the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Frank - I feel silly commenting on only two things in this post... (a) Being asked why you haven't been blogging? I hope this doesn't sound rude, it's not meant to be but I have been 'encouraged' to start a blog and thought about it, but its not my thing even tho i enjoy reading the handful that i do. So ask yourself why you are blogging? Is it something you really want to do or because you feel an expectation to? AND (b) Join the club in terms of a restlessness and a bigger picture!! Enjoy the adventure of finding out what that is... Caio. Lis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa

    No need to feel silly. Your comments are valid.

    I started the blog as a way to make I sure I didn't forget the little things... It's turned out to be much more than that at times and far less at others. It comes down to expressing oneself. I like to write, I always have. I like to draw and make music. I like to crunch numbers a bit too (and so on..). I'm very purposeful by nature though. I won't phone someone unless I have something to say to you - and by the same token, at the moment, I've been feeling like I must have purpose to my writing. Blogging about the little things hs it's place, but I'm just not finding the time. "Aaannnyyywwwaaaayyy"... Lets see what happens once (if) I start to settle again.

    Love your comments though - I like to think that we (the greater collective) make each other think on my blogspace....

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A thoughtful, vulnerable and moving post. Thanks for sharing with us and allowing us a teensy glimpse of your journey.

    There is a bigger picture; your restlessness is not unwarranted but its up to you find your way; I am still carving mine out daily! Sometimes with more grace than others....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tis a funny thing this blogging thing, isn't it? But oh-so-cool! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Frank. Thanks for the grace with which you answered my question! And yes, i can see how your blog has evolved into a place where you chew through stuff. And yes, it makes me think (one of the reasons i keep coming back!) So bring it on then - the big blogs and the little blogs... and if it takes a while, we will wait i am sure. Caio.L

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shoo - rambler was right about mising stuff if not staying connected... This post has garnered a few more responses than I'm used to... hehe, and becasue I'm not keeping an eye on my mail - I missed them... *blush*

    @Mel: What do I say, we have our moment, some bigger than others, when things seem not to make sense for a time and then all of a sudden (or not), it all seems to come together.

    @Chet: OK - the priest thing was whe I was a kid - but it was there. I can always count on you to spot that though, LOL!

    @Shiny - Yip - tis a funny thing indeed. It's easy to forget at times it's a public space... but at the same time, like Allie said in a post the other day, if it's out there, the resonse from other folks lets us know we're human and there are people who get what we're feeling or saying. Brings us back to earth I think - kind of like a support group without the weekly meetings.

    @Lis: More blogs on the way.... don't know when - but they're a comin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey - I have missed you! Great post, very eloquently worded! You and CV are a match made in heaven! x

    ReplyDelete