Monday, March 23, 2009

oooh - I feel all mushy inside

Let me be upfront and say I do not come from a heritage of gifting. I'm not particularly good at receiving gifts, and quite honestly find buying gifts a little overwhelming some times.

They require so much thought. What if I get it all wrong? What if my best girfreind is already sick to death of ornamental candles or vases? Are socks and jocks really that bad a gift for dad? I confess, I tend to buy gift vouchers.

I do go so far as buying vouchers that are appropriate. My best girlfreind gets a voucher from decent home decor stores. My straight, golf playing mates often get Golfers Warehouse vouchers. Book lovers - Exclusive vouchers and so on. SO it's not like I coulnd't think of anything at all for you - it's more like I thought you'd do far better chosing something appropriate for yourself - let me point you, with all my love, in a specific direction.

Anyway - I was at a family gathering (the future in-laws) yesterday to celebrate J&P's engagement and CV's nephew MV is turning 8, so that got thrown into the mix. But, beacuse it's also my birthday coming up, CV's brother WV (and family) and J&P got me gift too.

My intial reaction - without any disrespect to any of them that may reading this is: 'What on earth for!?!' But then, as one does, I had to open them.

Now, it's not Christmas, so for a moment all attention is kind of on me for a moment, as opposed to being sprea around the room. And being the terribly honest guy that I am - I might not be able to feign a response of delight if the gift sucks. The preassure is on!

First up was a gift from WV (and family). They took the best route for me - an Musica voucher! Haven't tried to redeem it - but whatever I buy, I will relish! No doubt I'll be buying a collection of rare soul cuts, recently re-mastered and re-released, or something from the Hed Candi stable. Thanks guys - it's YUMMY!

Then there was one of those enormous gift bags from J&P. Gift bags are wonderful at conceling the true contents of a gift, often with narry a hint because of their shapelessness. But with the lack of and sort of shape comes the real threat of getting something I might just not like. So, it was with trepidation I opened the gift from J&P. OhMyGOSH!!! As I realised what I was pulling out the bag, I think I momentarily became the same age as CV's 8 year old nephew. I felt all mushy with excitement inside.

I'm a sucker for Superheroes. I was never a comic book fan, but ever since the advent of the hight tech superhero movie, I've becomse a sucker for them. Wel inside was not one, but two collectable figurenes each one individually cast in lead, hand painted and numbered and endorsed by DC. Here they are below:



I'm not sure if I should un-pack them, or keep them in the original boxes to retain their value. Either way if anyone out there is thinking about something to get me for this and many a birthday to come in the future... here's the link to the page. *bashfully* And no that was not a shameless punt for birthday presents - just a suggestion if the thought had crossed your mind ;0)

I know I'll be ordering a few of these little gems online pretty soon! Thanks to WV (and family) and J&P for the amazing and totally unexpectd gifts. The big day is on Sunday, and although I know what CV got me, I can't get my little paws onto that too until then... so I'm still bursting with anticipation! I think I might just start liking the idea of getting a year older again.
Ciao4Now

7 comments:

  1. OH MY NERFS! WE ARE ON THE SAME DAY!

    Wheres the other pic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wait - there she is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, how lovely to be loved! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Supergirl!!

    Aw, I love your gifts too... yay! Its your birthday on Sunday! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes we are Chet - but we knew that already and forgot it a few times too!!

    lol - WHo is she? Are you kidding me...

    It's Super-girl!! She's Supermans' older/ younger cousin (it's complicated) who was sent to earth to protect him and it ends up working more or less the other way around.

    I'm starting to think comics are Soapies for boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Supergirl? Theres a Supergirl?
    Clearly I had too many Barbies as a kid

    ReplyDelete