Saturday, March 21, 2009

The big wind that tore it all up

Not too long ago I blogged about the thunder storms on the Highveld. The storm rolling in on that blog had nothing on yesterday...

I was outside having a breath of fresh air (read: smoke) just after 9-30am when I saw a storm moving in at speed. I don't know if you've ever seen the sight of a massive wall of wind and water moving towards you across a wide open landscape? You'll be standing surrounded by a sublime stillness, watching this dull grey curtain proceeding toward you. Then it hits and for a few minutes all hell breaks loose!

The wind picked up to an intensity that must have been close to gale force. Rain lashed down from all directions in a whirling deluge of wind and water, so much so it was raining 'sideways'. I retreated to the comfort of the pack house.

Some twenty minutes later the intensity of the storm had disipated to a gentle shower. And then we recieved reports from 'the outside'. One of our sheds had lost a roof - fortunately the wind was so strong, it miraculously lifted it clear of the power lines before dumping it in pices some 30m and more away from the shed!



The greenhouses too were pummeled. Five of eight greenhouses took a knock, with three of them sustaining structural damage. We're still figuring out just how much still needs to be repaired. The obvious stuff like gutters and roof plastic is easier to account for and begin repairing, but the damage to electrical instalations is going to be a little more complex to sort out.
And then of course there's the damage to our crops. All that rain, directly onto the flowers is not so clever...

This is not quite the most positive ending to a tough week. Here's a few pictures to show you what I mean:






*SIGH*. It makes me feel quite down just looking at these again...

8 comments:

  1. Oh my god, That looks so awful.I cant believe the damage that the storm did to the greenhouses. I am so sorry. I understand I also feel sad looking at these pictures. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Frank! That's heart-breaking. I am so sorry. I hope that sorting it out goes smoothly and, as for the flowers, I am gonna trust they make it against all odds! Strength. Caio.L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no! that's awful!

    now all of it needs to be sorted out, and that on top of your heavy workload at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, this is is seriously rough. Sorry man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! Thats awful! I also experienced that storm! I was driving at the time... NOT FUNNY, let me tell you! It honestly felt like I was in the middle of a hurricane! Looking at your pictures now - I think I was!
    Hope it gets sorted quickly and painlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Frank. Was thinking about you and your greenhouses this morning - just thought i would let you know... hope things are looking up. caio.L

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all for your messages...

    After having a good look through everything this morning, I report our maintenance team has been working double time to get things back to scratch.

    One of the three severly affected greenhouses is now almost functionally repaired.

    It's a long haul till we get it all back to normal, but we're getting there at least!

    Ciao4Now
    Frank

    ReplyDelete