Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Taking back the baton... back, way back

My life's a little upside down at the moment.

My brother MJ, is going on leave from Friday, for a week and I have to fill in for him whilst he's away. He's only been at the farm here for just under a year and when he started, I trained him to take over some of my responsibilites, so I could focus more closely on the things I'm supposed to worry about. So, the job he does is one of the many job's I've covered or developed at the farm in my long and diverse time here - in theory it should be a doddle.

However, being much like me, he's inclined to change things to make them run a lot better than they ran before. So the way things are done is now pretty different from when he took over from me.

To begin, I started work at 4am this morning, which is something I've not done in ages. And it's something I have no intention of getting used again to either! (I can hear CV cheering in the background!!)

Today was a bit of a time warp. We've gone through the run down of re-cycled daily activities and over the next few days I'll be re-training for a job I initially developed. I can already see it's pretty simple (as it always has been) and it's even simpler now that he's tweaked the system.

It's a strange sensation though, sitting at my old work-station, doing what I've done so many times before - differently. I shall accept that there will be times I have to take over this post. I 'm not a fan of the over-early wake up call, but for my brother, I'm sure it's akin to the relay racer.
If it were you, wouldn't you rather the baton be handed to someone who's run those miles a million times before than a butterfingered klutz?

5 comments:

  1. Hiya! Good luck Frank, I`m sure it`s gonna be walk in the park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped breathing at the *4am* part. Am not sure I would do that for my brother and I am BLOODY sure neither of my brothers (who dont know what 8am looks like) would do it for me!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well considering you woke up at 2am this morning, I'm surprised at how well you're doing... I would be moaning and snappy and generally unpleasant, and you're well. fine...

    how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh... I will NEVER be a morning person. So admire people who are! My spirit is willing but my flesh, eish, eet ees weak!

    Good luck with all the re-leanring the unlearnt. Hey, maybe you could tweak something too? Have fun. Caio. Lis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jeepers - i've been so busy I didn't even have time to look at the comments.

    Thanks to all. Now that I'm in the thick of it, I'm settling in (not too much of course) ;0)

    I have absolutelty no intention of tweaking anything - i'm doing like Katlema should and caretaking.

    ReplyDelete