Friday, January 23, 2009

Oh my THUNDER!!

Picture the scene, Sicily 1922... Ok, now that the Golden Girl fans have done that - scrap it altogether ;0)

After all my commentary about the wind in Cape Town, I'm forced to concede that Jozi has been having a bit of a tempestuos time herself since I got back. It's been cool, overcast and rather like - London in the Summer, I guess (I`ve not been there yet) - but with one notable difference. The Highveld Thunderstorm.

So picture then this scene, Bapsfontein farmland, 2009 - It's about one o'clock in afternoon and I'm quietly preparing my wholesome low everything lunch of lean meat, veggies etc. There are no decent shops (and consequently temptations) nearby.

Anyway, I digress. The clouds off to the west are ominously dark and threatening, but seem to be about an hour away. Then, quite suddenly the wind picks up something crazy and within minutes, it's bucketing down, at nothing less than 50 degrees off vertical - so much so that visibility dropped to less than 10meters and I had to close the windows for fear of them blowing out the frames.

And then, almost as swiftly as it belw in, it was over - just in time to go back to work!

Out on the farm here, it's pretty flat. The wind can get mighty nasty and storms are (quite litterally) electrifying. I have some pics of a storm brewing earlier this year that shows the kind of stuff that brews out here in Bapsfontein - here's one of them.



Beautiful don't you think?


I do love the highveld for her Summer storms!

3 comments:

  1. pretty pretty pic... when I lived in cape Town I really missed those dramatic Highveld skies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. We have the same thing here on our farm in Stutt. Thunderstorms appear from nowhere and rumble & grumble and pour with rain and giant hailstones, and then presto. It's over before it began. I do think there is something magical about them tho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Picture the scene, Sicily 1922... Ok, now that the Golden Girl fans have done that - scrap it altogether ;0)"

    Ok, that must be the funniest opening to any post ever! :)

    Ps. Looking forward to the good 'ol highveld thunderstorms when I get back.

    ReplyDelete