Friday, January 30, 2009

Big water, little minds and things

So Allie beat me to it, with a story more interesting than mine, but here goes anyway... (this comment makes alot more sense once one gets to the end of my post and then looks at Allies)

It's been raining the whole week. Flash floods have been reported far and wide with many a news headline to boot. In fact, just this morning, 702 carried the story of a man and his daughter who escaped with their lives through a sunroof after their car was washed off a water-swept low lying bridge. I always wonder why people in 4x4's think they can cross over bridges under water? I drive a big bakkie and would NEVER even contemplate it.

And yesterday, I had a delegate of supliers here from Holland and the chap driving them around told me how the low lying brigde on route to the farm was under water. I cautioned him and he smiled whilst pointing at his VOLVO AWD and said; "It's fine - I've got a good car."

All I could think was "You're a fool man - DAFT!", but instead said - "Beware of the power of water..." and promptly regailed him with two anecdotal stories about folks being washed of bridges in their high end "4x4's". I hope that sunk in a little.

I digress.... again!

With all the rain quite a few creatures get to play outside of their normal playgrounds. I was walking the crops yesterday (as I do quite regularly), focussed on the health of the young plants in the beds and looking for things like early markers of Verticillium and it's ulgy sister Fausarium.

There, nestled quietly, amongst the plants was a little critter. If it were any other situation, I think I may have walked right past him, because with the amazing camoflauge he's almost invisible. But I, less so invisible, towering over him like the tallest skyscaper would me, must have startled him and he moved.

I promptly whipped out my phone and went in to stealth mode, slowly crouching ever closer and speaking gently to him, asking him to sit still for a picture. I think the talking was more for my own benefit, but it can drown out the deafening thumping of the heart when we're focussed on a thing in absolute silence.


In any event after numerous attempts and some interesting but phyically challenging balancing manouvres, I managed to get the phone nice and close to take the shot.

Cute hey - and to think I would have missed it had I just been cruising through...

Ah!! It's amazing how sometimes the little things make one step back and wonder: "Just why do we spend so much time just cruising through to the next destination, instead of stopping to see the little frogs on the floor?"

3 comments:

  1. Oh MAN!
    Just look at that camouflage!
    Isn't that an amazing bit of God's handiwork?!

    Ja, one of the perks of reaching my advanced years is that I can amble.

    Actually, have always been an ambler at heart - just had to accelerate to look after my four energetic kids for a while *smile*

    Ambling is very conducive to *seeing*

    I think you just might be an ambler at heart too - one who just has to be busy to make a buck.

    How funny - Ambler and Rambler
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Frank... loved this post and strangely enough i was thinking recently of how often we muiss the small amazing stuff. I found myself smiling at the thought of you precariously posed to get this pic - would have been fun to see a pic of your pose! Caio. Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now Mr Frank J ... are you getting caught up on all the little things...just a bit too much? Its been THREE (3) DAYS since your last post.

    Just in case you thought no-one was noticing....

    ReplyDelete