Saturday, January 17, 2009

Something about storytelling...


It's always amazed me how some people can remember the little details of a conversation weeks ago, or manage to recount the seemingly mundane events of daily life and etch lively textured images on the minds eye. I call these people 'the Storytellers'.


To date, I don't consider myself one of those people, not because I don't think I can write - I think I can... Sadly, it's because I can barely remember what happened 5 minutes ago - never mind tell the story.


I recently became involved with a wonderful man who's been inspirational in more ways than one, blogging included. In engaging with him and some of his fellow bloggers that I've met on our recent travels, I've drawn the conclusion that a good 'story' is about picking out the details of our daily lives and finding something more than simple recounting of events. Unlike our dear local paper 'journalists' who weekly, will provide me with numerous fine examples (and I use that with some reservation) of painfully simple event recounting.


Of late, CV's been talking about some rather deep issues and in the past few day's I've heard comments like: "I've been following your blog, your last post made me cry." and; "I never saw it like that, it's completely changed my view on the subject."


I shan't steal his thunder on the matter 'cause we come from vastly different points of departure on the subject and I could never present it quite so elegantly anyway. But, you can (and really should) read more about it here.


And so with my 'keyword' for the year being FOCUS, I've finally decided to start a blog. Inspiration will be provided in abundance by whatever happens in the coming days weeks and years, fueled by a constant supply of creative energy on tap from my partner and whatever I'm reading at the moment may help me keep it at least vaguely interesting.


I guess a bit of 'copycat' writing styles may be dotted throughout. But hey - who gives a flying duck anyway it's not a competition. It's my blog, which I'll style how I want to. ..

2 comments:

  1. And write you can!! Shite mister J - this post is amazing. Am so so pleased you have decided to put finger to keyboard - please keep it up otherwise I shalt put Allie on you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaaa!
    A WRITER!
    I bet you never suspected you could be so eloquent.

    I love that right from the get-go you are writing from the heart.

    I also have to smile at how quickly you have become "one of us" - you wanna know how I know that?

    Its the "Its my blog and I'll write what I want to" syndrome.

    ReplyDelete